Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Farewell to China

by Brittany:

Shanghai...Nanjing...Guangzhou...China. It's been an experience. More pleasant at times and less at others, but an experience nonetheless. Now, as I write this, so much of me yearns to stay here, to talk to the people, and explore the heritage of Xi Ji Hao (Brock) and Xi Ai Mei (Brielle).

And yet, I miss my friends, my home, and my life (especially my cell phone). I am torn. I love my home and I love China. Part of me wants to go home, to see my friends again, and settle in. But two weeks felt more like three days. I want to come back, to know more and dig deeper into this vast culture. However, today we took the final step of the adoption process, meaning China's had her turn- it's time we fly back to America and plough ahead into the future.

So what was this final step in the process? Well, just today, bus loads of Americans stepped into the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou, passports at the ready. Escalators ascended through floors, and it was upon these that we rode our way up to floor 4, where the command of a consulate employee herded the parents into a line. Upon arrival at the counter, they got their passports and faces compared oh-so-carefully (literally about three seconds), then we all had a seat.

Minutes later, I found myself rising again, dragging little Brock out into the aisle with me. I lifted my right hand into the air in obedience to the man who was speaking to us. A chorus of "I do"s followed the little statement about all of the information provided about us "....was true to the best of our knowledge." Cheers and claps ensued as happy parents displayed various signs of joy to their new child. The process was over...and the adoption sealed!

We really didn't do too much more today. Every time we stepped out to go shopping, rain seeped through our clothes and chilled our skin. I did manage to buy a few last-minute things, though.

Lucy's provided us with our very last dinner in China. A restaurant that serves mainly American food but also satiates the appetites of their Chinese customers, Lucy's is a popular place among U.S.A. visitors to Guangzhou. Although it's not our particular favorite, we chose to go there, just as we had two years before.

Now, as I look back on all that we've done, all the things we've seen and the people we've met, it's truly hard to believe. Experiences like this are unforgettable, and, when your time's up, you are left with a longing to experience more. Although I am excited to get home, I know that I will miss China and always look back on this trip with the fondest of memories. I hope to return someday when I'm a bit older and see once again the people whose past is now so complicatedly intertwined with our family's.

I hope as they grow up Brielle and Brock will know the richness of the culture of their land, and come to appreciate in full the heritage which God has given them.


On the bus to the U.S. Consulate



Our CHI guide, Elsie, giving us instructions.

Singing Chinese children songs on the bus!

The all-important, can't-open "Brown Envelope" issued by the Consulate!
This kid has obviously done Legos before! We were packing, and he found some Legos I had brought, but never gave him. Next thing we knew, he had followed the instructions and built this...

Then, he neatly "displayed" them on the desk. He continues to amaze us!
Brant "playing" with Ji Hao.
Hmmm...Ji Hao was laughing like crazy, but I'd be pretty freaked out by that big blue giant.
We did tell Brant to come up with a better game to "play", by the way.

1 comment:

Waitingfaithfully said...

Safe travels Goodriches . . .

Thank you Brittany for the lovely final account. I had know idea the sadness I would feel when it came time for us to leave China last month. As much as I was ready for home, a part of my heart really wanted to stay-- Thank you for putting your feelings (and many of mine) beautifully into words!

Blessings as you travel home to Texas~

Tina